Thursday, September 4, 2008

COMM105-Use of gesture

In chapter 1 there is a diagram that explains the use of gestures in communication.  It discusses the full range of motion that is available to use gestures with your hands, eyes, head and feet.  The diagram shows a small drawing of a man performing some of these gestures as if he was telling a story.  It's interesting to think about how effective certain gestures can be when you're telling a story to someone.  
Some professions that flourish with a full range of gestures are comedians, actors(of course), theater actors, performance artists such as magicians, clowns, mimes, etc.  
If these sort of gestures weren't presented to us while something was communicated to us how would we fully understand what the person was talking about?  Would we fully understand?  

Anyway, even though some of us may not be in any of these occupations that I listed above, I think it is possible that we use gestures for everything we do.  Just the other day I saw someone on the phone waving their arm and hand around while they were talking to the person on the line.  It beats me why that would be necessary to do but a couple of days later I caught myself doing the same thing and I guess it is just instinctual.  Without even realizing it I started to wave my hand around in different directions.  

Now I try to see how long I can go without using my hands while I'm on the phone.  I have failed ever since.

1 comment:

chocoyuko said...

When I was in the U.S., I was amazed by the use of hand motions when people talk. When I talked to people, they moved their hands all the time, and I found it very different from my culture. Like you said, I also have seen people moving their hands when they are on the phone. In Japan, you can see some people put their one hand by their mouths while they talk as if they are whispering to the phone. I think they do this so their talk on the phone doesn’t interrupt others. It is very interesting to see differences of gestures by culture.

As for me, I sometimes draw circles on a paper when I am on the phone (especially for the talk that is not so important). I saw other people are doing this during a class, but I still haven’t figure out why some people do this.