Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Comm105-question 1:Cyberspace

I don't think I have ever made a friend that was made in cyberspace.  I guess you could count Tom on mypspace, but you don't have a choice when you set up an account.  Nor do you even talk to him.  I can only imagine that it is different to communicate with someone strictly through chat rooms than in face to face contact.  Now that I think about it, I talk to people all the time when I play dominoes on line.  But I never made any friends.  They're just other players.

I'm a little hesitant to creating a relationship or friendship on line.  For one, I don't think I could dedicate the time necessary to communicate with someone online.  Two, I would feel uncomfortable just trying to figure out what to say if I didn't know the person in actuality.  Its hard to think what kind of person you are communicating with and if you are too open with stuff about you're personal life than it can get awkward.  We probably know at least one person that is awkward or too open about their personal life.

1 comment:

TheBloggingProf said...

Hi DJ Q! In your post you mentioned that, "Now that I think about it, I talk to people all the time when I play dominoes on line. But I never made any friends. They're just other players." It's interesting that you wrote they are "just other players". Do you play this game on a continual basis? And, do you encounter the same players over and over again?

To go a bit farther, what does a relationship consist of? When you meet people online, can your relationship with this person be based only on a game? Does it have to get personal?