Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Comm 105-Nonverbal messages

Sadly I have been in a situation where I misinterpreted a nonverbal message.  It was much like a the last scene in the movie "Swingers" where Vince Vaughn and John Favereau are sitting in the diner and Vince's character sees a woman making cute faces at him, so he thinks.  He persists on making faces back, thinking she is directing them at him.  Turns out that she was making them at a baby sitting across from her.

My experience was somewhat the same and I ended up looking like a complete idiot.  I felt confident enough, the message was just not for me though.  

A way a person can increase their accuracy at reading nonverbal messages is to maybe do some research.  If you were like that guy chris Angel or David Blaine who are good at reading people's mannerisms and eyes you could tell a lot about a person just by looking at them and what they are thinking about.  These guys must have secrets and research methods on how to read people's behavior.  That's the only way I can think it would be possible for those guys.  Otherwise, experience is a good way to establish good estimates on nonverbal messages because it would include previous references and material to revert to.  

I also think that some people know how to take all of those characteristics in and hide them so that no one could be able to tell what that person is feeling or going through.  Nonverbal messages can be very subtle and they can be very strong.  

No comments: