Thursday, October 9, 2008

COMM 105-nonverbal messages #2

I can't really say that I have been a whole lot of situations where some nonverbal messages meant something different in another country or vice versa.  I can say that I have experienced another culture's idea of personal space.  In Jamaica, where everyone is pretty friendly and laid back, you can get a massage out by the beach in some of the resorts.
During the massage they get all the necessary areas: back, neck, shoulders, and then they move down to the lower back and then out of nowhere they lift the towl and just grab a handful of your butt and start working that around.  I can't say I was expecting that because that doesn't happen over in the states.  At least not in all massage therapy spas.  I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be disrespectful.  After a while I just let it slide.  After all I couldn't really complain.  

Enough about that though, It is funny yet interesting to think that nonverbal messages have different meanings in different parts of the world.  Making eye contact with some cultures is a sign of disrespect and in some an address of a challenge.  In other cultures, physical contact is against the rules for greeting someone.  So shaking hands with someone is out of the question.  Its probably very important to do research on the customs and practices of other cultures that way other people get the best impression out of you and hopefully see that you are trying to be respectful to their culture.

No comments: