Saturday, October 4, 2008

COMM 105-high and low context cultures

I am having a little difficulty fully understanding what a low and high context culture is.  I guess my understanding is that if a language is spoken to someone who understands it, clearly and concisely, they would have no trouble understanding what the other person meant.  If a language has high context, it may have a little more meaning than what we first interpreted.  Either that, or it is hard to interpret depending on the way it was delivered.

I went to a festival today where there were aztec dancers and mariachis performing.  The aztec dancers explained to us how plain english words originated from aztec words.  For example the aztec word for tomato was xitomatl.  The spanish switched it to tomate.  Very similar, and then the english of course tomato.  Just one letter difference and you have a word that anyone could understand regardless if it was in spanish or english.

Very clever I would say.  So many words in the spanish language sound almost like their english translation.  I found myself saying words in spanish that I had never used before because it sounded right.  Sure enough I was saying them right.  I try to learn a new word every day to my spanish language arsenal.  

No comments: